Woman’s puppy playdate ends with 3 dogs dead from toxic algae

June 19th, 2020 at 9:45 am EDT
Hello Friend,

Welcome to Friday.

Today's article is more serious, covering a lesser known toxin that appears to be on the rise.

Fortunately it is rare, but important to know about.

Clearly there are MANY other things that your dog and cat are more likely to become afflicted with, and prevention is THE KEY.

In my opinion, a quality supplement with a variety of immune supportive products are key.

Such as antioxidants, essential fatty acids, probiotics, colostrum

One such option is my supplement- you can use others, but just make sure they have most of those ingredients. Mine just also happens to have higher than typical levels of ingredients, and is proving helpful for thousands of pets.

My supplements are here:

Woman’s puppy playdate ends with 3 dogs dead from toxic algae

This happened last year, but is applicable TODAY as the conditions for toxic algae blooms are once again happening.

Two North Carolina women hope to spare other dog-lovers from the heartbreak they endured, after a visit to the pond ended with their three pups dying of toxic algae poisoning a few hours later.

Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz brought their dogs Abby, Izzy and Harpo to the pond to cool off after a hot day in Wilmington, N.C., last Thursday. The dogs played in the mud, swam in the water and chased each other around, relishing every moment.

Unbeknownst to both dog and owner, they were also being exposed to blue-green algae, a toxic bacteria that can cause extreme reactions in humans and animals, including liver failure and death.

The dogs collapsed into a series of seizures later that evening, and a trip to the vet couldn’t help them. All three dogs died of liver failure shortly after midnight.

Blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, can produce one of the most powerful poisons found in nature, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It can grow in lakes, rivers and ponds through most of the United States and Canada, and often grows due to fertilizer runoff from farmers’ fields.

Blue-green algae is not always visible, but it usually smells like freshly-cut grass or rotting garbage, according to information on the Ontario government’s website. Only some species of the algae produce deadly toxins, but it’s impossible to tell just from looking at it.

The CDC says toxic algae is a threat to both humans and animals, although dogs are particularly vulnerable because of their love of swimming.

“Dogs will get in a body of water even if it looks or smells bad, including when it contains cyanobacteria,” the CDC says. “Dogs are also more likely to drink the contaminated water.”

The CDC recommends rinsing off dogs immediately and preventing them from licking their fur after suspected exposure to blue-green algae.

Martin and Mintz hope to spread the word about blue-green algae so no one else has to go through what they did with their pets.

“We are gutted,” Martin wrote on Facebook. “We will make sure every standing body of water has a warning sign.”

Here is what a Veterinary Toxicologist has to say

Poor prognosis

There is no specific treatment for poisoning from cyanobacteria. The rapid onset of clinical signs precludes most attempts. Once the signs of poisoning have developed, the prognosis is very poor. In severe cases, it is not uncommon to have the pet die while being transported to the hospital. 

Asymptomatic animals with very recent exposures should have emesis induced (vomiting), provided it is safe and appropriate to do so. The instruction to induce emesis should only be given by an animal poison control center or veterinarian to avoid further harm to the patient. Animals should also be bathed to prevent additional ingestion from self-grooming. The use of activated charcoal has questionable effect in adsorbing the toxins, but cholestyramine (a powder used by people to lower cholesterol)  was recently used successfully in a dog surviving the initial insult. 

WARNING To persons handling ANY animal affected

It is critical for veterinary staff to know blue-green algae can also be toxic to people. 

Individuals handling affected animals need to take special safety precautions to prevent respiratory irritation, contact dermatitis, or death. Protective clothing, including safety suits or aprons, long gloves, and eye protection, should be worn and good ventilation provided.

Consultation with veterinarians at animal poison control centers is recommended to provide current treatment options and assist with case management. Likewise, consultation with veterinary diagnostic laboratories is recommended for confirmatory testing. 
Heal Your Pet At Home!

Best Wishes,

Dr Andrew Jones, DVM
P.S. Just be aware of standing water with ANY type of smell..especially near a farmers field with run off. Ideally AVOID standing water.  

My heart goes out to Melissa and Denise..those looked like awesome dogs

P.P.S. If you have yet to TRY my supplements, I encourage you to do so, for now they are 37% OFF

DISCLAIMER: This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. Dr Andrew Jones resigned from the College of Veterinarians of B.C. effective December 1 2010, meaning he cannot answer specific questions about your pet's medical issues or make specific medical recommendations for your pet.

PRIVACY POLICY: We will never rent, sell, loan, provide, barter, exchange or in any way make available your personal information to others. You can unsubscribe or change your email address at any time using the links at the bottom of this email.

Copyright 2013 Four Paws Online Ltd.

Tel: 1-800-396-1534
Fax: 1-888-398-1378

Four Paws Online Ltd.
2124 Ymir Road
Nelson BC V1L6Y9

You may unsubscribe or change your contact details at any time.