[Warning] Human Food Toxic To Dogs

June 19th, 2014 at 10:45 am EDT
Hello Friend,

A cheery Thursday to you, your pets and other family members.

Scary Stuff!

My dog supplement special ends in 48 hours.

You can get a bottle for 25% OFF

Foods That Your Dog Should Never Eat

The following is a list of foods to avoid feeding your dog.

Avocado: Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principle known as Persin. The Guatemalan variety is most toxic – but all have toxic potential. They cause vomiting/diarrhea – primarily gastrointestinal distress.

Chocolate (all forms): Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. The toxic dose is 2 baking squares for a 10lb dog. Regular chocolate bars have little real chocolate and are seldom toxic.

Coffee (all forms): Coffee contains dangerous components called xanthines, which cause nervous system or urinary system damage and heart muscle stimulation

Fatty foods: The primary concern here is severe gastrointestinal upset- and in some cases Pancreatitis.This can be fatal in some pets- and it is ALMOST always triggered by a High Fat Meal, such as gravy or bacon.

Macadamia nuts: Macadamia nuts contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscles of dogs. This has lead to paralysis. A small number of nuts and even the butter can cause this.

Moldy or spoiled foods: Many molds contain a type of toxin called an Aflatoxin. This is thought to be a common cause of “compost toxicity”. Signs include GI (Vomiting/Diarrhea), muscle tremors, in-coordination, elevated temperature, excessive salivation, and liver damage. Avoid feeding ANYTHING moldy to your dog or cat.

Onions, onion powder: Onions contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate.Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop anemia. 1 Onion can cause this. Fortunately ALL dogs recover once they are stopped from ingesting onions.

Raisins and grapes: As few as 6 grapes and raisins have caused acute kidney failure in some dogs.The toxic ingredient is not yet known.There is no treatement. AVOID feeding ANY grapes or raisins to your dogs.

Yeast dough: The yeast dough/uncooked bread dough will rise in your pet’s stomach causing severe gastrointestinal distress (vomiting/diarrhea), bloating, and signs of alcohol toxicity.

Xylitol: Xylitol is a artificial sweeter found in “SUGAR FREE” Products, such as gum, candy etc. Signs relate to a sudden drop in glucose (blood sugar), in-coordination, collapse and seizures. Avoid feeding any gum/candy to your pets.

Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums (stems, seeds, and leaves):
While the fruit is fine for your pet to eat, ingestion of large amounts of stems, seeds and leaves of these fruits can be toxic. They contain a cyanide type compound and signs of toxicity include apprehension, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation and shock. Note – it’s the seeds and stems that contain the toxic component, not the fruit itself.

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
: Potatoes and other Solanum species, including the tomato, are members of the nightshade family of plants. These plants contain solanine and other toxic alkaloids which, if eaten in large enough amounts, can produce drooling, severe gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite, drowsiness, central nervous system depression, confusion, behavioral changes, weakness, dilated pupils and slowed heart rate.

Nutmeg: High levels of nutmeg can be toxic, even fatal. The toxic component is unknown. Signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities or death.

Tomato leaves & stems (green parts): The green parts of the tomato plant are considered toxic because they contain solanine, which has the potential to produce significant gastrointestinal and central nervous system effects.

WHAT to do IF your pet has eaten any of these toxic foods:

TO YOUR VETERINARIAN. If your pet is showing signs of ingesting a poison, it is important that your veterinarian examines her and treated appropriately. Some toxins can progress and lead to severe seizures. If you suspect antifreeze poisoning, it must be treated within 4-6 hours, before irreversible kidney damage occurs.

PURGE THE POISON. In most cases of poisoning, getting your pet to vomit is the most important thing that you can do. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING if something caustic has been consumed (such as drain cleaner or bleach). To induce vomiting, give hydrogen peroxide at 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight. If your pet doesn’t vomit in 10 minutes, repeat again. NEVER do more than 2 treatments of peroxide. You can also try salt: dilute 1 teaspoon of salt in a tablespoon of water per every 10lbs of body weight.

NEUTRALIZE THE TOXIN. If a caustic substance has been ingested, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING, rather give something to neutralize it. An alkaline toxin such as drain cleaner is neutralized by something acidic such as vinegar: give 1 tsp per 10 lbs of body weight. An acidic toxin, such as battery acid, is best neutralized with something alkaline such as Milk of Magnesia: give 1 tsp per 10lbs of body weight.

DELAY ABSORPTION. Activated charcoal is readily available at most pharmacies. It delays absorption of any toxin by binding to the toxic compound in the stomach. The easiest way is to give the capsule form. For those garbage-eating dogs (such as my own dog) it is a good idea to have hydrogen peroxide and activated charcoal always on hand.

TOPICAL TOXINS. If your pet is having a reaction to something on the skin, such as flea medications, or oil on the skin, then you want to remove it as soon as possible. Dish soap works well – lather it up, then rinse your pet thoroughly. Thick tarry substances that you can’t wash off can be first covered in flour, as the flour absorbs some of the oil, then washed off with dish soap.

PREVENTION. Ensure medications are always out of mouth’s reach. Become familiar with toxic plants (visit http://www.aspca.org/toxicplants for a complete list) and remove those from your house, if your pet is a plant-eater. Keep your compost covered.
If you would like your pet to be the Pet of the Day, please send a picture to
Dog and Cat Words of Wisdom...
"If you're not receiving enough attention, try knocking over several expensive antique lamps"
Heal Your Pet At Home!

Best Wishes,

Dr Andrew Jones, DVM
P.S. If you are wondering whether or not Ultimate Canine can help your dog, consider this...

"... seems to be working like a fountain of youth ..."

" In only 2 mos. my 9 year old Morkie's coat has become shinier softer and almost tangle free. She suffered from arthritis and would grunt as she was getting up with me in the morning. Now I have to stop her from jumping off the bed as I don't want her to injure her tiny knee cap which slips out of place occasionally. My 9 year old cat's fur seems healthier too. I can't wait to see what the future will bring. It seems to be working like a fountain of youth... maybe I'll try a scoop on my cereal (lol). Thank you for your dedication and love for our furry families. I hope to meet you at Woof Stock.



Simone Hillier, Toronto Ontario

"... supplement is great cause it has everything in it ..."

"We have a King Charles Cavalier just turned three on Memorial Day have been giving him Dr. Andrew Jones Ultimate Canine Supplement about 2 & 1/2 years now & thankfully he has never been sick & only take him to the Vet for his shots & heartworm med. He is a smart dog alert lovable & has a beautiful & shiny coat!!! The supplement is great cause it has everything in it & don't have to bother with a lot of bottle of pills & he loves the taste of it! "

Mrs. David Ulianna, Hickory NC, USA

"... my 10 year old Collie is still running with my younger Collie ..."

"I have been using your supplement two years now and have found that my 10 year old Collie is still running with my younger Collie and manages to keep up with him. "

Jacquie Austin, Nottingham England

You can get 25% OFF

But hurry, it ends in 2 days


DISCLAIMER: This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. Dr Andrew Jones resigned from the College of Veterinarians of B.C. effective December 1 2010, meaning he cannot answer specific questions about your pet's medical issues or make specific medical recommendations for your pet.

PRIVACY POLICY: We will never rent, sell, loan, provide, barter, exchange or in any way make available your personal information to others. You can unsubscribe or change your email address at any time using the links at the bottom of this email.

Copyright 2013 Four Paws Online Ltd.

Tel: 1-800-396-15341-800-396-1534
Fax: 1-888-398-1378

Four Paws Online Ltd.
2124 Ymir Road
Nelson BC V1L6Y9

You may unsubscribe or change your contact details at any time.